Friday, December 3, 2010

Goose Bumps

Zoe and I both turned our heads, my skin covered in goose bumps I don’t know why we were acting such weirdos.

“Excuse me ladies, would you like a psychic reading?” A friendly looking
woman asked.

“Ummm,” I hesitated.

“Sure.” Zoe chimed in excitedly.

“Ok great, follow me.” She said taking her time to look us both up and down. Now I’ve never been that into psychic, but my mum was, so as a result I’d end up going with her, I found it really interesting, but that’s about all I got out of it. The woman led us around the corner to a purple painted door with the name Susan’s psychic printed on the front; I wondered why she chose to call out after us.

“How much will this cost?” Zoe asked as we walked through the door. As soon as I did I was confronted with a room full of purple, it looked like a stereotypical psychic office, but Susan herself looked just like every other commuter after work. The desk that separated us from her was had no embellishments, behind Susan there were a couple of photos, beaches mainly, some with lovers holding hands, I guess it made sense we were right across the road from the beach.

“I’ll do a free reading today, I saw you two at the cafe and our both looked a little lost.” She smiled friendly.
I raised my eyebrows at Zoe and she gave me a little smirk.

“Ok who’s first?” Susan asked as we were getting comfy on her

I shook my head at Zoe and she jumped in, “I’ll go.”

“Do you want your friend to stay?” Susan asked and Zoe nodded.

“Ok so, your name sweetheart?” Susan asked.

“Zoe.” She answered.

“Hmm ok Zoe, now you clearly work in fashion.” She answered.

Zoe’s mouth gaped, “I work at Radiance, how’d you know?”

“Umm well your dressed lovely and you were carrying around a stack of magazines.” Susan answered smiling, I laughed out loud and Susan joined it.

“Oh right.” Zoe smiled.

“Ok so you have had a pretty up and down year, there was a man in the picture, I believe you perhaps thought he was going to be a serious relationship but that ended painfully.” Zoe’s face was full of shock at that point, I was wondering if Susan would be able to play off people’s reactions or she genuinely knew.

“Hmm he is quite a selfish young man but he will grow out of it and be very happy by the time his 30, just not with you.” Susan smiled sweetly.

“Good.” Zoe said quietly.

“What else, well the young man in the picture now, he genuinely cares for you, but he is also a little selfish, it’s something you both can work through but it will be hard, I believe in the end this man is the one you will end up with, even if obstacles get in your way, hmm his name is fairly appropriate to getting through this...I can’t quite get it...Breaker, that’s it.” Susan said through closed eyes and a satisfied smile. “Break through the challenges and you will be happy.”

Zoe’s mouth was wide with shock, as was mine, how did this woman know?

“Any questions you’d specifically like to ask?” Susan said.

“Umm what about me job? How will that be in the New Year?” Zoe asked.

“Hmm some extreme challenges face you, you are getting a promotion, yes?” Susan asked for conformation.

“Yes, I am.”

“Ok well it will be difficult but there will be many people to help you through.”

Susan talked for a bit longer, mostly about Zoe’s family and how happy they would be in the New Year, she also predicted a health scare for a female in her but in the end it will all work out in the best outcome, whatever that means.

“Hmmm so your turn love?” Susan smiled sweetly in my direction.

“I guess so, Paris.” I said smiling while introducing myself.

“Hmm ok Paris let’s see...” Susan was quiet for a long time before starting, I looked panicked at Zoe who gave me a reassuring look. “Well your boyfriend plays some sort of sport does he?”

“Yes, football.” I answered.

“Well I’m not sure how much longer he will be playing; challenges are going to face you in the next few months, big unavoidable challenges in your relationship that will change both of you forever. I can’t see what exactly but I know this time next year nothing will be the same.” Susan answered.

I looked at her puzzled, “What?” I asked panicked, I loved my life now, I didn’t want anything to change besides the pervy paparazzi that have taken to following me around.

“Unfortunately your future isn’t as clear to me as Zoe’s was, which means you still have some pretty important decisions to make and it will probably be very soon that your faced with these decisions.”

“Ok.” I whispered.

“I have only one bit of advice for you, the only certainty in your life at the moment, is if you take all the opportunities your career offers you then you will excel beyond any dream you’ve had.”

Susan then wrapped up the reading, she had scheduled appointments coming through and needed to time to cleanse the room or something. I didn’t know what to make of the reading, Zoe got such a clear accurate reading and it seems like mine was just a lot of jumbled words trying to make me scared, Nathan and I are fine, I’m doing wonderfully at my job and I have nothing to worry about.

I wish I wasn’t so sure about that, or what came next maybe wouldn’t have been so hard to deal with.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, just one thing: it's psychic, not physics (=the branch of science concerned with the properties of matter and energy and the relationships between them. It is based on mathematics and traditionally includes mechanics, optics, electricity and magnetism, acoustics, and heat.)!
    Other than that, great post as usual ;)

    ReplyDelete