Monday, November 1, 2010

Round 1 - The Win

Nathan played an AMAZING game, he looked so good on the field, throwing the ball and kicking it, they won by a mile, so it wasn’t an overly exciting game, from the first quarter everyone could tell that the Eagles were going to win. Seeing as there was no tension with the game apparently the crowd soaked it up, and by the crowd I mean Martine.

As soon as I walked up with Chelsea, Jake and Georgie (Belle and Matt took a little longer to get ready, they were meeting us later) awkwardness filled the air.

“Hello everyone, I didn’t think you were coming Paris.” Martine said.

“Nope, Nathan called me this morning, I changed my plans.” I said and suddenly Lesley wrapped me up in a tight hug.

“You look beautiful Paris, I’m so glad you made it.”She said genuinely.

“Chelsea what’s wrong you look sick my dear.” Lesley said as she enveloped her, Martine stood up for the side watching the scene play out in front of her.

“Bit of a hangover is all.” She laughed.

“Really Chelsea? It’s your brother’s big day you shouldn’t have been selfish.” Martine chimed in.

“Mum you know Nathans had heaps of big days, I had a good night with everyone.”

“Hmm well I just think perhaps you could have been a little bit more sensitive, you know how nervous he gets.” She said.

“Well I’m bloody well here aren’t I?” She said quickly and falling back in line with me Georgie and Jake, he still had barely acknowledged his mothers presence.

“Now Georgie you’ve done something different with your hair?” Lesley asked fingering Georgie lighter locks.

“Yeah I have, it’s a nice change.” She replied.

“Hmm blonde is a lot of maintenance.” Martine again chimed in; she was even more negative than normal.

“Well I think it looks lovely, we going in?” I interrupted and linked arms with Georgie as we led everyone into the stadium.

Suddenly I became aware of somebody snapping pictures of me.

“What is he doing?” I asked Georgie.

“Welcome to a wag world.” The man snapping the pictures said as he winked
and started backing away.

“What the hell was that?” Chelsea said as she ran up behind me.

“Some pap wanted a photo of Paris.” Georgie laughed.

“Eww, I don’t want a photo of me! I’m SO not a wag, why do people keep saying that to me!” I moaned.

“Well maybe you should have thought about not wanting the wag status before you started dating a football player.” Martine added from behind.

“But then we wouldn’t have her lovely company.” Lesley added gosh she was good at turning a negative comment into a positive.

Soon we were all wedged into the seats in the VIP stand, well not wedged I’m not going to lie the seats were lovely, we were in the important area. The stadium took my breath away, I hadn’t been to a football game in a VERY long time, the sun beat down and there were soooo many people! All had different team jerseys, and people were milling around attempting to find their seats. The VIP apparently usually just housed girlfriends/wives/children that hang but it was a special day for the first game, so it was jam packed with club officials and the owners and stuff I was so busy trying to take in all the famous faces that surrounded me then the bell sounded to signify the beginning of the game...

It began with the Australian anthem all the players looking extremely reverent, it was hard to imagine in just mere minutes both teams would begin to play as hard as possible to win. To be honest looking at Nathan on the field was mesmerizing, he looked so in control and his team was listening to him, he got tackled a couple of times I have never felt so protective over someone, we obviously still needed to talk about our fight but I finally realised how important this boy was to me and how hard it was to watch someone you love being beaten down (even if he was getting up seconds later ready for round 2).

“So are you ok?” I asked Jake carefully; ever since we got to the stadium he was in a terrible mood.

“Hmmm, just a little weird with mum.” He answered watching the field with serious concentration.

“Wanna talk about it?” I asked as casually as I could muster, he shook his head and gave me an affectionate pat on the back.

About half an hour after the game ended the boys came out into the VIP area, the temporary walls were removed and the space became huge, waiters appeared and the music started playing. Nathan came over to our little group; we were being a little anti-social only because every time Georgie, Chelsea or me saw someone even mildly famous we’d let out a little squeal and ‘subtly’ point them out.

Nathans arms were soon wrapping themselves around me from behind, I turned around and he pulled me close,

“Thank you.” Was all he whispered in my ear, cue extremely weak knees I didn’t care that his family was watching at that point, I gave him a congratulations kiss, he looked extremely delighted.

“GOOD GAME!” Chelsea and Georgie screamed together and wrapped in up in a group hug, Jake, Brad and Matt gave him a pat on the back, Belle gave him a kiss on the cheek, Lesley wrapped him up in big hug, then it was time for Martine they awkwardly hugged, obviously there was still some tension between them.

“Ok so we’re going to take you all out for dinner, I know you probably want to go out later Nathan with the boys but can we just have you for dinner?” Lesley asked Brad’s arm tight around her waist.

“I would love to come out for dinner, we just have to stay here for a bit longer, they are going to have some speeches and junk and then I’m free.” Nathan smiled in my direction.

“Good, good...” Brad added his face lit up when he saw any of the players; it was obvious his fantasy was coming true.
I realised it was probably time for me to leave, I was only there to support Nathan, we still needed to talk, I wasn’t prepared to just let this issue get swept under the rug.

“Ok guys, I think I better go.” I smiled, instantly Martine looked relieved.

I was met with lots of protests from Lesley, Brad, Georgie, Chelsea, Belle and Matt (Who only arrived just before the game started). Nathan just watched me, as I gave everyone hugs with promises to see them all for breakfasts tomorrow...Nathan grabbed my hand and led me outside.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come for dinner?” He asked as we found a little corner hidden away.

“No, I mean I want to but I shouldn’t, but babe I’m really proud of you.” I said.

“I didn’t mean what I said you know, I just got on the defence, and I was a complete ass.” He said.

“You weren’t the only ass in the room, I shouldn’t have brought up your family stuff, I had absolutely no right.” I said looking down; his finger gently pushed my chin so we were eye level.

“I’m not going to lie it was hard to hear, but you were completely right. I -,” he was cut off, a couple of his teammates practically tackling him to the ground and pushing him inside, he managed a quick kiss and a promise to call me later before they literally picked him up and dragged him inside.

1 comment:

  1. Tbh, I don't get how Paris was being an ass. True, they both did not handle the confrontation or attempt at communication very well but Paris was not the one who hid something big from Nathan and then follows that up with " I dont want you there". I don't get why she has to feel guilty for telling him the truth about his behaviour.I don't think Nathan is a bad guy but it getting tiring to see him play the wounded party, disappear and then, come back with an apology without any real understanding for tje both of them abot what had happened, only to see the cycle repeat itself again.

    ReplyDelete