Wednesday, October 13, 2010

How Could I be So Naive?

*Thanks for the lovely birthday messagages! :D Also 24 followers!!!!!! YAY

Work was interesting today, after taking Friday off I had lots to catch up on, so I got to work very, very early.

“Good morning Paris, you here very early.” Minnie said as she walked in to her office and dumped the hundreds of pieces of paper she had, and walked back out to chat to me.

“I thought I should be after taking Friday off.” I smiled.

“Oh yes, and how is your gorgeous new nephew?” She asked.

“His beautiful, seriously I’m in love with him.” I said.

“I would love to see some pictures soon.” She winked as she walked into her office. I had heaps of photos of him, but Grace and Simon had yet to choose a name, she was leaving the hospital today so they had to come with something, I think they might name him Harrison, which I love! Oh well guess we’ll soon find out.

The rest of the morning I was very productive, Brett and I made awkward small talk while he was waiting for a meeting with Minnie. We hadn’t really spoken since the night he stayed late and I think he knew that Nathan wasn’t exactly comfortable with us being friends, I know that I told Nathan I would still be friends with Brett but it didn’t really feel right, not after our fight which we still haven’t really talked about. Zoe came in about an hour late looking terrible, she had a hangover and looked like she was about to vomit.

“Zoe what’s going on?” I asked her when we were out to lunch.

“What do you mean?” She asked.

“Well you have a hangover and it’s a Monday, how are you dealing with your breakup?” I asked.

Zoe sighed before speaking, “I saw him yesterday...hence the massive Monday morning hangover.”

“I knew it, Zoe. Where did you see him?” I asked.

“At my apartment...” She sighed.

“Did you have break up sex?” I asked my tone light but I knew the answer I would get.

“Yes, not just once either...” She whined. “I don’t know what I’m doing Paris, I break up him and he calls me and then we have sex, seriously it’s like where in the exact same position we were before we broke up its just there is no commitment.”

“Zoe you have to work out what you want from him.” I said.

“I know, I know it’s not a smart idea to keep going the way we are.” She said miserably.

Suddenly we became aware of a dark shadow standing at the end of the table, it was Brett.

“Hey Brett.” I said attempting to be friendly.

“Hey Paris, Zoe.” He smiled.

“Sorry to interrupt your lunch but can I have a chat to you Paris?” He asked carefully.

I hesitated but Zoe interrupted, “I have to go back to work anyway, I’ll see you both there.”

Brett sat down filling Zoe’s place.

“So what have you been up to?” I asked.

“Paris, why have you been avoiding me?” He asked directly.

“...I haven’t. Ok that’s a lie, I have. I am going to be completely honest with you, Nathan wasn’t exactly impressed with our behaviour at the dinner party, so I thought best to give us some space.”

“I knew he wouldn’t like me after that night...” Brett said a little mysteriously.

“Why?” I asked.

“Well we were flirting like mad, look Paris anyone can see there is something between us.” He said looking at me directly in the eyes.

“Brett, no. Let me make this perfectly clear, I love Nathan, he is the only person I want to be with, I’m sorry if I gave you the wrong idea it wasn’t my intention at all.

“I think you need to open your eyes Paris, I can’t see you and Nathan lasting much longer, don’t you realise what a fantasy this is? Dating a famous football player, who you have described sweet and funny and gets along with your friends, his playing you Paris and you’re just too infatuated to see it. Soon you’ll see, and hopefully you haven’t left it to long for us to be something.” He said with confidence that made me want to slap his across the head and throw my drink on him.

“You don’t know the first thing about Nathan, and honestly even if we need break up, there is no chance of you and I being anything more than colleagues, I would appreciate if we didn’t speak unless work related.” I said as I snatched my hand bag from the chair next to me and walked out without a second glance at Brett.

I knew Brett’s type, hell I’d written articles about Brett’s type. He was the kind of guy that thought of every girl as a challenge, and if he hadn’t hooked up with her he’d lost the game. He was the guy that went after girls with boyfriends to make his life a little more interesting, I just wish I had figured it out sooner...

1 comment:

  1. What a dick. Glad he showed his true colors before he could screw up her relationship with Nathan. I just hope that he hasn't planted a seed of doubt. And I TOTALLY hope he isn't right, or I will be heartbroken. mum

    ReplyDelete