Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Drunken Voicemails and Confused Girlfriends

I got this voicemail at 3am last night while I was sleeping soundly,

‘Hey beautiful, I’m missing you tonight. Wish you had stayed but I understand why you didn’t. I’m sorry for not calling you earlier just getting home, had a couple of drinks with Jake. I miss you and can’t wait to see you naked again.’

To be honest it didn’t even sound like him, it was him but it was another side of him. The message left a bad taste in my mouth. I suddenly realised he was angry at me, but I couldn’t figure out why.

I got up around 8am when I heard Audrey getting ready for work. I must have frightened her because she let out a really loud scream.

“Paris, you’re not supposed to be home until later tonight...” She said trying to regain some composure.

“I’m sorry, I know. I should have called. The trip got cut short.” I said.

“Its fine, why what happened?” I hesitated telling her what happened, I know she was my friend but I don’t know something didn’t feel that genuine about her anymore.

“Nothing, Nathan and I just got in a little fight. Nothing serious just thought I should give him time with his family.” I said lying.

“Oh no babe, I’m sorry. That sucks.” She said making me a coffee. “I’m really sorry I got to rush to work. Are you going in today?”

“Nope, I thought I have the day off so I might as well use it. I’m thinking about going for a walk on Bondi.”I said grateful for Audrey not asking any more questions.
______________________________

An hour later I was in my tracksuit pants and singlet jogging on the beach and my phone rang, Nathan lit up my screen, I considered not answering it, but of course I did.

“Hey Nate.” I said a little puffed.

“Hey, you sound out of breath what you up to?” He asked curiously.

“Just jogging on Bondi. What about you?” I asked rolling up my pants and dipping my feet in the cold water.

“Nursing a pretty heavy hangover to be honest.” He sounded tired. “Oh and I’m sorry for not calling you, Jake and I got busy and I just forgot.” He said.

“You did call me actually, left a voicemail on my phone at like 3am.” I said casually.

He sighed, “I hoped I dreamt that.”

“Nope, Nate are you angry at me for something?” I ventured cautiously.

“No of course I’m not angry at you. Why would you say that?” He asked.

“Just I don’t know...your voicemail sounded a little passive-aggressive...” I said.

“This is why people should get their phones banned when they drink. I’m not mad at you, I am angry at myself for bringing you this weekend though.”He sighed.

“So what if you could do it all again you wouldn’t bring me?” I asked a little hurt.

He breathed out, “To be honest Paris probably not. You had a terrible time this weekend and frankly so did I.”

“I didn’t have a terrible time, I keep telling you this...There was a couple of crappy moments but the rest was great.” I said.

“Paris when I called you yesterday...it was obvious you were crying...” He said quietly.

It was my turn to sigh, “So what? I had a cry to a friend because my boyfriends mum hates me. I honestly thought we were having fun, at least for the most part...” I started to get teary again but managed to pull myself together. I was having doubts now, did he think telling me he loves me was a mistake?

We were both quiet for a long time.

“I think I am going to go.” I said.

“Wait please. Paris the wedding was more than fun to me. I didn’t mean that I had a terrible time when we were dancing, or making love, or saying I love you. I just meant that, well that my mum was a bitch to you and that can’t have been fun for you.” He said softly, almost nervously.

“In the future when I think about the trip Nate it won’t be because your mum was rude to me or anything. It will be because of the dancing and the making love and saying I love you. And even all of us having breakfast together the next day.” I said and a few tears I couldn’t control ran down my cheeks.

“I have said it before and I’ll say it again, you’re amazing Paris. I really am sorry for the message. I am driving back to the city in like an hour with Georgie, did you want me to pick you up and you can come have a sleepover, and we can talk some more or whatever.” He asked.

“Yeah, I would like that. Message me when you’re like 15 mins away.” I asked wiping the tears and washing my face in the ocean.

“Ok, I’ll see you soon.”

5 comments:

  1. This story gets better and better. I really can't wait for the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!!! I really hope Nathan talks to Paris about his problems with his family, it would be better for both of them and their relationship. Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished reading this story from the beginning. All I can say is AMAZING! Is that really you in the picture? If so, I must say you are a beautiful girl. Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joangel:the girl in the picture is rachel bilson. shes an actress. she played in the OC.


    great story i love it!! i wish the post were longer though. they're so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou guys sooo much! Uh thankyou Joangel but no it is Rachel Bilson! :D I'm thinking for taking the photo down, because I want people to make up their own mind about what Paris looks like...

    Sorry Anon, 931pm, the posts vary from length but I have been trying to make them longer! :D

    Thanks all keep the comments coming! :D xxx
    <3 Amy

    ReplyDelete