Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Breakfast

Breakfast was awkward at best. I came downstairs about ten minutes later, I walked into the kitchen and it was evident that tension filled the air. It was also evident that I was the cause of the tension.

“Hey, how’d you sleep?” Nathan asked, obviously pretending we hadn’t seen each other less than 10 minutes ago.

“Not bad, what about you?” I said with a smile.

“Ok...”

“Morning Paris.” Nathans mum said barely looking up from her paper.

“Martine, would you like anymore coffee? Oh good morning you must be Paris?” Said a friendly looking man.

“Paris, this is West, my step-dad.” Nathan said, he forgot to mention his step-dad to me before, and so had Georgie...hmm.

“Hello, lovely to meet you.” I said smiling warmly at him, and he gave me a look I couldn’t decipher.

“So coffee Paris?” West asked. I nodded and Martine shot me a dirty look.

“So Paris what exactly do you do?” Martine asked.

“I work at Radiance magazine, I am an assistant for the editor but soon I start working as the beauty editor.” I smiled.

“Oh, is that the magazine all about sex?” She asked eyeing me up and down.

“Uh...well no, there are a lot of other things in there.”

“Hmm, so you think that somebody dating a footballer should be writing sex articles?” She said her voice full of hate.

“Mum –” Nathan said harshly.
“No Nathan, I want to hear what she has to say.” I said, I couldn’t help it, I hated confrontation but I wasn’t about to let her walk all over me.

“Well I am just saying, my son is in the public eye enough without you trying to gain material for stories, and I definitely wouldn’t want his contract to be put in jeopardy because his girlfriend couldn’t keep her mouth shut.”She said with a defiant smile.

“That is not an issue. And to be honest I don’t really like what you’re implying. My career is for me, it has nothing to do with Nathan...” I said honestly.

“Look love,” she said patronisingly “I just don’t want my son to used.”

“Well then, you have nothing to worry about, because he is not getting used by me...” I said I couldn’t help it. This woman really ruffled my feathers and I wasn’t about to be spoken to like I was some fame hungry whore. Not after last night.

“Ok, ok I think this conversation should end now...”West said.

Martine just walked about of the kitchen, giving me one of the dirtiest looks I have ever seen...

“I’m sorry Nate.” I said, suddenly angry at myself. That was my boyfriend’s mother; I should be at least trying.

“Hey, it’s fine, honestly babe. She deserved it.”He said kissing my forehead.

The rest of breakfast was pretty smooth, and soon me and Georgie were off to the brides house to get ready.

2 comments:

  1. Good girl, Paris. You were well-spoken and to the point, and showed her that you weren't going to take her any of her crap. Well done! mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your comments Mum! I thought she did pretty well too! :D

    ReplyDelete