Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sometimes Goodbye is the Only Way

“There you guys are.” Georgie said, back to her normal self, at least from the outside. Anybody could see from her red and swollen eyes she was sad.

“You ok Georgie?” I asked gently. Then a fresh batch of tears threatened to spill over. I gave her a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek and she smiled at me.

“So what happened?” Jake asked sighing and lighting up a new cigarette. All 3 of us were sitting on the balcony.

“Names were thrown around; she blamed us kids for her problems. The usual.” She answered jadedly.

I realised they probably wanted to talk alone, about this secret they were all carrying. So I walked inside to find Nathan. He and Chelsea had yet to move, but I looked outside and Lesley was yelling at Martine.

“Hey.” I said sitting back down at the table.

“Hey...God what a horrible weekend.” Nate said.

“I get it. Every family has drama and shitty times. This is just a hard time for all of you.” I said and Chelsea laughed sarcastically.

“Paris every day is a crappy day when we’re around her. Nothing but shitty times.” She said and smiled apologetically at me, I returned the smile.

“Nate, I think maybe I should go. I mean obviously there is some family stuff that needs to be worked out. I can just get the train back.” I said.

“No, I am coming home too. Will just drive back together.” He said.

“I think maybe you should stay. Try to have a normal chat with your mum, as long as the rest of the family is here.” I said and Chelsea agreed, “Nathan you know she’s right. This needs to be sorted out while all of us are here.”

“I agree, but I am not letting you get the train home.” He said.

“Trains are fine. Seriously ill be home in two hours. You CAN drive me to the train station though.” I said.

He let out a loud sigh and I knew I would get my way, “Fine...trains come every hour so ill drive you.” He said pulling me in for a hug. I ran upstairs to pack my bags up and just get out. It had been an ok weekend, yesterday was amazing but I knew that I needed to go, so they could sort stuff out.

I said my goodbyes to everyone, and they all told me how much they liked me. Lesley gave me an extra tight hug and Jake too. Georgie told me she would see me in the city. Chelsea whispered thank you in my ear, I’m pretty sure it was for convincing Nate to stay a little longer.

We were sitting in Nate’s car waiting for the train, the silence was deafening.
“Are you ok?” I asked, he was unusually quiet and I knew he was upset but I wanted to know if there was anything I could do.

“I feel horrible, you’re just getting on a train home and you’ve had a crap weekend and argh I don’t know...” He said, not looking at me.

“Hey, it wasn’t bad. I loved your family and the wedding was amazing, and I understand that you need time with them Nate. I know you don’t want to talk about it, but it looks like the issues run pretty deep with all of you guys.” I said.

He shook his head at me, “God you’re amazing you know that, I...if this happened when Katie was around, well it would have been a million times worse.” He said. I don’t know why but I felt a little pang of jealousy, why did Nathans mum hate me so much? When she apparently just adored Kate... I obviously didn’t let Nathan see this or it would have made him actually feel a million times worse.

So I just kissed him and for the third time he told me he loved me.

The train pulled up soon after, and I left Nathan with a promise to call him when I get home and a quick kiss.

3 comments:

  1. I am absolutely loving this story!! Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if Nathan's family problems will affect their relationship. Hope not, i love how the story is developing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you! :D Im enjoying writing it!:D

    You'll soon find out! ;D

    ReplyDelete